Dot To Dot Festival Nottingham


Living in Nottingham for university, I felt it would be a crime to miss the  the Dot to Dot Festival, which takes place across 3 days in 3 different British cities. I saw the line up and it looked amazing! There was a wide variety of bands and singers across a spread of genres, and I wanted to share my thoughts on the performances that I managed to see.

Amber Run was the first band that I saw, being from Nottingham, they received a great reception in the Rock City venue.  The festival was a momentous occasion for the band who's lead singer, Joe Keogh,  used to worked in the neighbouring bar Rescue Rooms. 

Their performance was heartfelt and there anthemic tracks got the audience going! Their last track seemed to be a celebration of what they have achieved over the past year. The band have a similar vibe to both Bastille and Momford and Sons and after seeing their enthusiastic set, I really think they are one to watch. 





Amber Run- Sparks


I then saw the start of Josh Record’s soft and soulful set, which calmed down the audience after Amber Run. 

 
Josh Record- For Your Love

I am finding it hard to put into words just how good this band were! It was one of the best choices of the day to venture into the Rock City Basement, where I was literally gobsmacked with the performance! This seven-piece soul band from Birmingham, Alabama where absolutely incredible. 

I was not expecting to be compleately blown away by St. Paul and the Broken Bones. I had checked out a few of their tracks on Spotify before Dot to Dot, but from the moment Paul Janeway and the band took to the stage and started singing there presence was overwhelming! I went straight onto Amazon and bought the CD after their soulful set! 

St. Paul and the Broken Bones- Call Me

I ventured to Rescue Rooms to see the next couple of acts. First up were Caveman. The alternative country rock band have a burly wood chopper look but their harmonies give them a completely different edge 
 ‘In the City’ brought their set to a triumphant close. I can see these guys being next to Local Natives and The Men.  

Caveman- In the City

Darlia were the next to perform on the Rescue Room Stage. The three-piece are  capable of quiet-loud dynamics. Singer- Nathan Day has a voice goes from a husky whisper to a rasping roar. The band gave a really enthusiastic and enjoyable performance. 

Darlia- Dear Diary

I later made my back to the Rock City Basement to see Superfood the Birmingham four-piece had the audience jumping! They have been supporting Peaces during the year along with the next band I saw- Drenge.  

Superfood- Bubbles 

Upstairs in the main room of Rock City, grunge band, Drenge  who warmed up the audience for Dot to Dot headliners Peace. 
They were able to play the majority of their a  their self titled debut album due to the extended slot they were given after Macaulay Culkin's Velvet Underground themed band- Pizza Underground stormed off stage after just 15 minutes of their set. 

Drenge- Bloodsports 

Headlining band Peace gave a fantastic performance that got everybody in the fully packed Rock City, going! 

There were people of all ages enjoying the upbeat sound of the English indie quartet. The band consists of brothers Harrison (vocals, guitar) and Samuel Koisser (bass), Douglas Castle (guitar) and Dominic Boyce (drums).

'Money' received its first play on Hottest Record in the World on Radio 1 by Huw Stephens. Peace announced that it would be the first single off their upcoming second album. 

There performance was really well received -everyone singing along to the well known tracks including "Lovesick", leaving everyone anticipating the upcoming alum.  

Peace- Money 

Sadly, I had to leave after Peace's performance. Unfortunately I missed performances from Courtney Barnett, Sleaford Mods, Real Estate and many more notable artists. I had a great time at the festival that was sponsored by Fred Perry Subculture and am looking forward to attending again next year.




0 comments:

Post a Comment