"Hello My Name Is Paul Smith"





While in London, I decided to visit the Paul Smith exhibition at the Design Museum. As a student at Nottingham Trent, Paul Smith is someone who we are all made very aware of, seeing as he opened his first store in Nottingham in 1970.  

I found the exhibition to be an immersive experience which took me from Paul Smith's early life as a designer in Nottingham to the global brand that is known today.
I loved the replica of his first shop which was tiny and had no windows. We witnessed his catwalk collections between his beginnings and 2013, in addition to a new super-HD video of behind the scenes footage preparing for the menswear show.  

Visitors are welcomed into the exhibition by a giant post-it note inscribed by Smith that reads 'EVERYDAY IS A NEW BEGINNING' which I think is a befitting mantra for the sixty-seven year old designer who has built his namesake label from its humble Nottingham beginnings.




Hello My Name Is Paul Smith is a very intimate portrait of an avid collector who is partial to pink, who thrives on the sublime and the ridiculous in equal measure. 
The woman who was in charge of curating this major retrospective entitle “Hello My Name Is Paul Smith” is Donna Loveday curated the retrospective. She sifted through his 28 collections per year in addition to Smith's personal archives to collect the exhibition material.




I really enjoyed gaining a deeper insight into the life of one of Nottingham's greatest, a man who put men in colour! It was very interesting, and inclusive. I felt as though I was a part of the exhibition, involved in it as opposed to being a spectator. 
The exhibition is open until 22 June 2014




0 comments:

Post a Comment